riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Theoretical Diet

Well, living in Egypt as a vegetarian, and having to eat lots of rice, made me fat. But lately ive been cutting back on rice and eating very little (not really my choice, but due to circumstances) and so I've been eating a small breakfast, if any, and then not eating anything until late at night. And what I noticed is that I have lost a lot of weight, am looking leaner, and there is no noticeable muscle loss. In fact, when you're thinner, your muscles look bigger because there is more definition, even though you just lost fat and even maybe some muscle. So, this got me thinking about the period when I did the Warrior Diet. But with that diet I got too thin and I couldn't put on any muscle. And I started looking a bit pale. So I decided to tinker around with it, and maybe create a similar diet that is based on the same principles but would allow for better health and easier muscle gain, while staying lean. I decided that I simply cannot eat too much or too many meals in hopes of getting bigger- it just doesn't feel "right" islamically speaking to stuff yourself with food.

And since Ori, the creator of the Warrior Diet, was inspired by warriors of the past like the Romans and the Arab bedouin, and since my genes go back to bedouin from the hijaz through my father, and to mountain warriors from the caucasus through my mother, I thought I'd make a diet that reflected the diets of my ancestors.

So this is very much a diet inspired by the Ramadan fast, however with more food for the sake of strength training and muscle building. But still very little food compared to normal bodybuilding diets because I'm trying to stay lean and with some muscle mass, not huge.

I could probably call it The Fast Diet because it relies on two periods of fasting (instead of one long period of fasting as in the Warrior Diet), and because I'm betting it would lead to fast weight loss.

Or I could call it The Arab Warrior Diet since its a modification of the Warrior Diet but inspired more by the Ramadan schedule and Bedouin foods (such as dairy and dates).

I'm only posting it here so that I can have it, and so that it would be easy to tinker around with it and change it as needed. But I'm not sure when I will start it and try it out (if ever).
--------------


5 am : Wake up for Fajr. Pray and recite Qur'an for a while.

6 or 7 : (Liquid) Breakfast:

choice a) One liter stirred yoghurt or kefir milk (aka Rayeb, Laban Makheed, Shaneenah) with some honey, 7 dates.

choice b) a protien powder made of both fast digesting (whey) and slow releasing (casein) proteins. Example: Milk Protein Isolate, or Whey + Micellar Casein Mix. 7 dates.

12 pm:

choice a) One ounce almonds (around 20 almonds)

choice b) 5-10 grams BCAA's


5 pm: Gym and Peri-Workout Liquid Meal (50/50 ratio of carbs to proteins). Only on workout days.

6 pm: First part of dinner: Quick-digesting protein:

Whey Protein: 20-40 grams

7 pm: Protein + Carb meal

example a) Fish, salad
example b) Hummus, falafel, brown bread
example c) Lentils

Best to stay away from rice and pasta as carb sources, as they were not part of the ancient arab diet and they're empty carbs in a sense.

9:30 pm (2.5 hrs after the main meal, and before sleep): Protein + Fat meal.

choice a) cottage cheese, olive oil, cucumbers, tomatoes
choice b) egg protein powder or milk protien isolate with olive oil.


This means there's two main fasting periods. One is during sleep, and the one during the day has some almonds or Branched Chain Amino Acids in the middle. There's one main 4-hr anabolic eating period like in the Warrior Diet, but there is also a liquid breakfast with lots of dairy as well as dates for energy and health.


Inshalla I will attempt this soon. But right now I have no whey protein, no BCAA's, no egg protein....nothing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Haq Islam said...

Great blog mash'Allah.
Keep up the good work.

March 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

thank you brother.

March 16, 2007 at 11:36 AM

 
Blogger HijabiApprentice said...

Asalaamu Alaikum Silencer,

This actually sounds like a good diet! I would definitely tinker with it to make it work for me but you have given me an idea! I think I'm like at least 1/2 warrior on my Dad's side LOL! Thanks!

March 28, 2007 at 9:21 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

hehe cool! if u ever wanted to try it u should tell me what ur changing so i can tell you why that would most likely work/not work.

plus i dont think its easy. when i did the warrior diet it took me a while to get used to it. tho this might be a bit easier.

March 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM

 
Blogger HijabiApprentice said...

will do! i think i'll implement it starting 4/9 when i get back from my vacation and i'll let you know.

ma'a salaamah,

ha

March 29, 2007 at 9:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home