riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

New Post

I have written a new post on Thursday the 15th, continuing the history of the Tariqa Muhammadiyya from the late 15th till the late 16th centuries. But since I had tried beginning it earlier and had saved it as a draft, it appeared before the post on eating and spirituality entitled 5:93. So those checking the blog might have missed it because it appears under it, so I thought I would write this to let people know. There is also a link to it in the right sidebar under the tariqa muhammadiyya series. This article was supposed to be longer and discuss more people but I need to first take out the needed book from the library, so inshalla I will complete it later and discuss other figures important to the Tariqa Muhammadiyya through different lines.

Then inshalla there will be a post about Ahmad ibn Idris's criticism of the madhaahib and how that compares to the view of al-Sha'rani (mentioned in the latest post of mine). And inshalla I will also try to write a post about Hakim al-Tirmidhi's criticism of Qiyas (the main tool of ijtihad) because it's relevant.

Oh and inshalla I will post something short about the attacks of the Tariqa Muhammadiyya movements on smoking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home