riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Stay Tuned....

Well, I doubt there's any readers of this blog left, since it kinda died off.. But if there's anyone out there still- just give me one more month. One more month of no blogging and them I'm coming back with a vengeance.

After Dec 23, if God has willed for me to live that long, I will start writing a lot. Here are some things I plan to do:


1- The Idrisi Series: I MUST get as much information as possible out there about my ustadh, Ahmad ibn Idris, may God bequeath to us some of his knowledge. I want to write an article about the Tariqa Muhammadiyya as practiced by his own teachers and people who went before him, then I want to talk about his own tariqa and compare it with those of other reforming sufi shaykhs of the same time, and then I want to talk about his legacy and his successors. I've always been hesitant about even attempting this because he is a giant of a man, a true heir of the Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam, and how do you even begin to describe someone who has inherited ever half a hair's worth of the Prophet's knowledge and character? But I feel like I have to get something out there, and inshalla I will, even if it does not do him justice.


2- The Resistance Series. In the 19th and 20th centuries, as a response to Western Imperialism, a series of legendary Sufi-led wars of resistance raged in the Caucasus, Algeria, Libya and the Sudan. I want to write something little about each movement and about how their leaders, great Sufi shaykhs, were all connected.


3- I want to talk about changes I have done in my life. Some small, some not so small. And all kinds of theories about how they affect your personalities, and what changes I have noticed in myself since doing them. But I have a feeling yall gonna think I went insane or something.


4- Translation. I have decided to stop reading english works on Islam and sufism when I can read arabic instead. I'm going to be reading as much as possible in Arabic, and as a way of improving my vocabulary in classical Arabic and improving my writing abilities I'm going to try and translate a small paragraph or section almost every day- something I like. Expect from me a translation of something (from some great texts) I read every day or so, and if you dont get it, DEMAND IT. I do need the encouragment as if no one asks me about it I'd probably stop. It's gonna be some good stuff inshalla.


5- On the training front. I'm gonna be in Jordan. I'm gonna have things that I dont have here, and foods that I dont have here. And all sorts of things I dont have here. I will be in my groove. I will be in the zone. I will start a new experiment to take my body to a whole new level. And I will keep track of it here. This is finally my chance to do something Ive been meaning to for a while now. It's something easy that everyone can do. Stay tuned for all the details on how I'm gonna rev up my metabolism and turn myself into a muscle-building, fat-burning machine.


in shaa' Allah.


Wassalam,
Silencer.



EDIT:
[just wanted to leave this note to myself to remember to write about another topic, something very controversial. well, no need to say what it is, as this note should be enough to remind me if i forget to write about it.]

14 Comments:

Blogger HijabiApprentice said...

Asalaamu Alaikum Silencer,

I still check regularly for new posts so insha Allah I will be patiently awaiting your come back!

ma'a salaamah,

ha

November 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

wa alaykum assalam hijabi,


i might add something very important about hadith to my notes blog either tomorrow or the day after. We'll see.

November 27, 2006 at 9:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As-salaamu'alaykum,

I have been trying to find information about Ahmad Ibn Idris for some time, so I'm quite happy to have found your blog and I'm looking forward to new postings.

Insha'allah, I intend to order the biography mentioned in your Glimpses Into Early Wahhabi Thought. Ibn Idris sounds like someone I can learn to admire...

November 30, 2006 at 12:32 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

wa alaykum assalam

glad you did find it. just wondering how did you hear about him?

i see that Enigmatic Saint is quite expensive on amazon. im not sure i'd get it.

the first thing I read that really pulled me was Saints & Sons by Mark Sedgwick about the Ahmadi Rashidi tariqa, which comes frmo one of Ibn Idris' main students. there was a section of the book about the history of the "tariqa muhammadiyya" concept and about Ibn Idris. It has some errors and exaggerations (the author wants him show him as having changed more about sufism than he actually did) but it's what pulled me. and then there was enigmatic saint, the Letters of Ahmad ibn Idris, and Sufi& Saint on the Desert Edge about al-Sanusi, his student. then i got some of his writings in arabic and some translated treatises from scholarly databses online.

putting it all together is amazing. but is enigmatic saint alone worth 75 dollars? is Saints and sons worth 110 dollars? im not sure. i would suggest instead you try to find them in libraries and read them or photocopy sections of them. or if you want i can photocopy any of em and send them to you.

here's a list of what I have and can send, no problem, if you so wish (ajr is from Allah);

- Enigmatic Saint
- The Letters of Ahmad ibn Idris
- The Exoteric Ahmad Ibn Idris: A Sufi's critique of the Madhahib and the Wahhabis
- Sufi & Saint on the Desert Edge
- The relevant sections from Saints & Sons (i only photcopied that part of the book about Ibn Idris and the Tariqa Muhammadiyya)

also

-two treatises of ahmad ibn idris (very short works translated into english. only 20 pages together maybe).

- ahmmad ibn idris: two biographies. (translations of the very tiny introductions to him added to his collections of works)


i also have all kinds of short booklets written by him in arabic about prayer, dhikr, trust in God, tafsir, etc.


anyway just a suggestion.

November 30, 2006 at 5:02 PM

 
Anonymous Faisal said...

Jazakallahu Khayran

I was made aware of Ibn Idris through this account: http://sufistic.red-sulphur.org/2005/11/17/an-interesting-account/

Anyway, I was not thinking of ordering on Amazon, but rather through a Norwegian bookstore. But I think I may be able to acquire some of the books you mentioned trough someone else.

However, I would be quite appreciative if you could send me the two treatises you mentioned. Is that something you could send in an e-mail? If yes, then please send them to post@servantofallah.com

December 1, 2006 at 5:37 AM

 
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm looking forward to the Resistance series.

December 4, 2006 at 5:10 AM

 
Blogger MikeeUSA said...

Feminist run orphanages in pakistan and afghanistan.
http://rawa.org/orphanages.htm

This is bad. What to do?

http://mikeeusa.blogspot.com/
https://cat2.dynserv.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=43

Death To women's Rights.

(What have men gotten from women's rights? Marital rape laws (an Irish man
was just jailed for 6 years for raping his wife), domestic violence laws, easy
divorce laws, child support laws, etc etc etc.)

Is there any way to stop and reverse it?

December 4, 2006 at 7:06 AM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

elizabeth- glad you're looking forward to that. i actually need to get some extra readings about that, as there are some parts where i have very little info.. but hopefully i'll fill in the blanks soon.

December 5, 2006 at 10:57 PM

 
Anonymous Ali said...

As-Salam-o-Alikum Wa Rehmat Ullah Wa Barakatohu

Dear Brother: Can you send me all information you have on Imam Idrees; and am I right to believe that you are one of his followers in Tariqat? Warmest regards

Jazak Allah Khair, Khairan Kathiar

January 16, 2007 at 1:22 AM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

brother Ali,

wa alaykum assalam wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh.


I think of Imam Ahmad ibn Idris as my shaykh and I try to follow him as best as I could but I have not yet given bay'a to one of his spiritual descendants so I'm not technically an Idrisi or an Ahmadi Muhammadi.

Inshalla this week I will start writing about him and the tariqa muhammadiyya in general on this blog. and then after that i will send you any other information that you might need (or even books). But first inshalla i'll start working on the blogs.

January 16, 2007 at 6:44 AM

 
Anonymous Ibnu_Sirr said...

Assalamualaikum Silencer, All Praises to Allah and Rasul Salallahu Alaihi Wasalam for allowing me to find your blog. I hope you can share the knowledge you have regarding the tariqah of our Syaikh, Imam Ahmad ibn Idris here http://www.phpbbplanet.com/ahmadiyyahidris/

February 22, 2007 at 12:05 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

wa alaikum assalam akhi! al hamdulillah that you found me and told me about this forum. i will attempt to contribute what i can later. feel free to copy anything from what i have written and post it there for now.


i signed up under the name NuruddinZangi. I am so happy there is a forum dedicated to the shaykh. i have always wanted to know about the idrisi's in malaysia and indonesia and these areas.

February 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

(or singapore, if that's where you are from). the visit tracker has a few visitors from singapore it seems.

February 22, 2007 at 7:06 PM

 
Anonymous ibnu sirr said...

Alhamdulillah bro, i'm glad that you visited the site to share with our brothers from South East Asia the knowledge you have. Insha'Allah i'll try to share with our brothers your postings here with them. And yes bro, i'm from Singapore and here too, we have many followers of Tareeqah Ahmadiyyah Idrissiyah. May Allah bless us all.

February 27, 2007 at 11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home