riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Back to Blogging

Assalamu Alaykum,

I simply didnt feel like blogging for a long time, and I was busy with friends and stuff, so that is why I didnt write anything for a while. Also, I have been suffering from flu-like symptoms for 5 days now, and it keeps getting worse every day. Some of the symptoms are becoming quite severe. I ask Allah for health and praise him for the good in this illness of which only He has knowledge. I also found in this day, in which I am suffering from severe chest pains and can barely talk or breathe, a good opportunity to write about some things I’ve been meaning to discuss. Had I not been ill, I would already be in Egypt now where I do not have these resources at hand which I have now, so again I thank Allah.

I promised before to write about the Shaikh Ahmad ibn Idris, but I decided to first write about another topic which was a recurring theme in the studies that I have read about the Idrisi tradition. That topic is early Wahhabi thought, and what I read while studying about the Idrisi tradition, of the interactions between Ibn Idris and other Ulama of the time with the Wahhabis has challenged what I had previously thought about the founders of the Wahhabi movement. And so, I will first write an article about what I can tell of the early Wahhabi movement and its ideology from what I have read this summer, in which you will also get a small glimpse into the life of Ahmad ibn Idris. After this, I will, inshalla, write a summary about Ahmad ibn Idris in another post.

Wassalam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home