riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Pulling Cars

So, I was re-reading an old article on T-Nation called "The Lost Art of the Finisher", which I remembered talked about pushing cars, and I realized that there's one thing I totally didn't think of when I went pushing cars with G: pulling cars. So today I bought a rope and we decided to pull the car. I thought it would be a great rowing-style movement for the back, to balance out all the pushing from last time. So G came over, we did a lot of pullups on the new bar I had installed in the house, and did some pushups in between each set, and when our backs were fried, we thought we'd finish them off with the car pulling (hence the name, "the lost art of the finisher").

So I started pulling the jeep in the same street we found last time, but i realized our big mistake: while i could push a Jeep Cherokee using my legs, and even push it with my arms with my legs in place, it was damn hard to pull the thing toward me with a rope, with my body twisted in an angle (like pulling rope). I mean sure I got the Jeep moving but it was really hard and slow, and it made me wish I was wearing gloves.

After I thought I couldn't pull anymore, I felt like grabbing on to the top of the jeep (the luggage rack), with my feet on the step coming out of the jeep, while my friend drove off. It was only meant to be while the car turned around so we could continue on a small incline. But then we decided to keep driving with me hanging on to the car from outside for a while, and the rope was with me. It was still attached to the front of the car. So what I did was I rapped it around me and hooked it to the luggage rack on top of the car, until I felt secure. Now I could let go of both hands as my friend drove around the neighborhood, and I was secure on the outside of the car, the rope holding me in place. It was fun looking at all the people looking at us with a confused look, with both my arms in the air.

Well, we kept driving around, having fun, until all of a sudden the rope started shaking and we heard a strange noise, at which point I grabbed on to the rack and told my friend to stop the car. I got off and found out that the rope slipped down to the side of the car and was being cut by the tire. In fact, it had been torn apart so much that there was only a tiny strand left on the rope. If we hadn't stopped the car, the rope would have snapped any second later. Had I not grabbed on to the rack upon hearing the sound, I might have flown off the car! haha. Well, I know how stupid that was, but it was fun, and alhamdulillah nothing happened. I was joking with G and said to him, "you know why I'm still alive? Because when we just passed by that mosque I told you how beautiful it was, so God decided to let me live a little longer." By the way that was a really cool mosque, and I was happy to see a lot of young guys coming out of it after isha prayer.

hopefully either tomorrow or the day after I'm gonna post something long about the shaykh that I have come to admire most, Ahmad ibn Idris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home