riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

in jordan...

assalamu alaykum


well im in jordan and trying my best to stay away from the computer as much as possible. so im gonna talk briefly about what's going on.


first of all i'm here till early september... just gonna relax, read, swim, workout, eat good clean delicious food, etc.
Also, alhamdulillah matters of worship have become much better. i'm doing all my prayers on time (except fajr which i keep missing), and not only that, but i'm doing as many as i possibly can in the mosque. so far i've done at least one in the mosque each day, but usually two prayers. i'm gonna try to increase that to three or four but i cant always make it to the mosque. so alhamdullillah this is great and i hope i get used to this and continue it when i'm back in egypt.

also i brought with me a CD i bought from the Sultan Hassan Mosque in Cairo after one Jum'ah prayer. The CD is a program containing Ibn Raslan's Zubad with commentary by Shaykh Ali Gom'aa. The Zubad is a simple 1000-line poem in Shafi'i fiqh, explaining everything one needs to know from aqeeda (creed, set of beleifs) to practice (everything about prayers, fasting, and much more). With this program I get to read the poem while listening to commentary and explanation by Ali Gom'aa. Everyday I listen to a 30-minute section. There's about 55 such sections.

I'm also going to try to get in contact with Shaykh Nuh Keller's people (or the SunniPath people) to see if there's any courses I can take while i'm here. I doubt it though.

finally, i brought three books with me from the library of the American University in Cairo. Why? Well they are out of print and I can't buy them except used and for at least double the price. So I borrowed them from the library and plan to make copies of them here in Jordan. A copy with hardcover and everything. they will look just like the original (except with a plain hardcover).

the books are:

- The Exoteric Ahmad Ibn Idris: A Sufi's Critique of the Madhahib and the Wahhabis: Four Arabic Texts With Translation and Commentary.
- Enigmatic Saint: Ahmad Ibn Idris and the Idrisi Tradition
- Sufi and Scholar on the Desert Edge: Muhammad B. Ali al-Sanusi and his Brotherhood


So, in regards to religion everything is good so far, alhamdulillah. With health and fitness the same. I'm planning to swim on all my rest days from the gym, inshalla.

Also i'm experimenting on my eyes. I believe, no i KNOW that i can improve my vision and i'm doing a full attack on my eyes until my myopia decreases (inshalla). I dont want to discuss everything i'm doing now but i'll get into it later. Or better yet, I won't get into it later, because I dont want to be spending too much time on the computer. Of course I know i'll end up discussing it sometime this week. so we'll see.


peace!

4 Comments:

Blogger Edward Ott said...

You sound like you are having a fantastic time. I would like to know are all those books available in english? My arabic is horrible.

Salam

July 27, 2006 at 3:57 AM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

well the three books that i'm making photocopies of are in english. if you would like i can see if i can make a copy (depends on whether they started working on them or not, and how long ago). but the computer program with the poem is in arabic.

July 27, 2006 at 10:35 AM

 
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'll tell you how you can improve your vision: Get laser surgery. I used to be virtually blind without glasses; now I have almost perfect vision.

August 5, 2006 at 2:31 AM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

thanks elizabeth, but i dont want to have laser surgery. not unless i exhaust all other options, and what im doing seems to be working.

August 5, 2006 at 9:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home