riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

James the Muslim

Since my last post was about Jesus and things, and since I've been reading "The Jesus Papers" lately, my interest has really peaked about James the Just, brother of Jesus (peace be upon him). I remember reading a letter by James in the Bible that started out with him calling himself "the servant of God" (and a footnote saying it also means "the slave of God"), so basically he called himself a abd of Allah. And I remember how there was absolutely no contradiction between that letter and anything in the Qur'an, and that it impressed me highly.

Well, from reading "The Jesus Papers" I found out that James was the successor of Jesus and the leader of their movement, and that they had Paul expelled from the area. Finding most footnotes about James referring to works by Eisenman, I looked up his books on amazon and what I found out from reading about them is that the beliefs of James are pretty much the same as those of Islam. I also found out that Paul attacked James, trying to kill him!

Well, an email came to me in those same very days of high interest in the matter, an email about a new book comparing the teachings of James and the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). I haven't read it yet, but I have read many of the writings of its author and I can assure you he is VERY knowledgeable in the Old and New Testaments, having studied them extensively, and is also very knowledgeable in the eastern religious and wisdom traditions. I will definitly recommend this new book of his, and ask as many people as possible to buy a copy to support him and his further research to spread the truth about the teachings of Isa bin Maryam, peace be upon him, and how they were distorted by Paul.

You can read this article of his online, showing the debates between Paul and James and how James was upholding the teachings of Jesus, peace be upon him, the teachings of islaam, while Paul was teaching something completely different. It might give you a small taste and hopefully encourage you to read his indepth study of the matter.


(click on the image to see it larger)

1 Comments:

Blogger MBD said...

Yes, in said book "Muhammad and James" i comment on that very topic as well as the other aspects of the over-all Islaamic theme of the letter. Maa shaa' Allaah.

Wa-Salaam

June 18, 2006 at 7:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home