riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Current Training and Diet

Well, last time I went to jordan for 10 days, I lost around 3.5 kg. I had changed my diet by incorporating some things from the Fit 4 Life system. I would wake up and drink hot water and lemon. Half an hour later I'd eat a delicious plate of fruits, and then I'd eat more fruits whenever (if ever) i get hungry again. At 12, I'd drink carrot juice, and then lunch at 1:30 or so. I'd also have my least meal (usually a protein shake with bananas and milk) at 8 or so.


Here in Egypt, It's kinda similar:

Upon waking up, I'd have watermelons or another fruit.

Thirty minutes or so later, I'd have Hemp Protein Powder with either water or fruit juice. That reminds me, I gotta get more fruit juice. The Hemp powder doesn't taste as "delicious" or "nutty" as advertised on the cover, nor does it make me "want to eat it straight out of the bottle". WHY WOULD THEY LIE TO ME? WHY?! There's only 15 servings in the bottle and they're almost finished, so I dont know what im gonna replace it with.


At 12 I'd have a small shake made out of milk, bananas, and dates.

Then at around 3:30 I'd have lunch, which is white beans basically. I'm trying to eat the same dish every single day. Let's see how long I can last. That's what ascetics used to do and i'm trying to get myself used to it, even though i'm not exactly living an ascetic life. But it's good to learn to eat the same food everyday. Plus it's the most beneficial lunch for me as a vegetarian. I stuff myself with as much white beans as possible, and I dont have rice with it.


Then if it's a gym day I sip a post-workout drink (half protein, half carbs) pre and mid-workout (post-workout drinks are actually more effective during and right before a workout). If it's not a gym day I dont have anything. I'm doing Chad Waterbury's Total Body Training, 3 days a week.


Then after I get back home, I either have another smaller serving of the post-workout drink (if it's a gym day), or I have a shake made out of protein powder, milk, bananas, and flax seeds. I only have flax seeds in my shakes on the non-workout days because the fats slow down the protein absorption and when having a shake around a workout the point is to have the fastest absorption possible. I also add a serving of Greens+ to these shakes to help balance the out the acidity of the protein, and simply because it's good for you.


Unlike the Fit 4 Life and what I did in Amman, here in Egypt I might still have my shake at 9 or later, but I dont have anything later than that. That's it, I dont eat much. Sometimes I'd have a small salad or something at night. I should be eating more but i'm having a hard time doing so. As for today, I'm gonna save my shake till late at night, because I'm gonna go to Tabbouleh at 7:30 or so, the best damn Lebanese restaurant in the whole damn world!


Check out this picture from BBC online today:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"A bodybuilder pumps iron during a power blackout at a gym in Baghdad. The sport is a popular one in the war-torn city." BBC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home