riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pushing Oneself to the Limit.





When I see something like this, I feel dissapointed in myself and in humanity that only a tiny number of people can do this.... I mean, we have the potential to do this. Why then are most of us so completely and horribly out of shape? This body of ours, it's amazing. It can do amaaaazing things. But we completely waste its potential.... Most people are weak.


you will probably disagree once you see this, but I believe that a human should strive to be able to do that. People should train their bodies to the maximum physical fitness possible so that they are warriors in both mind and body. Most of this is not even about physical fitness,... it's about hard, disciplined training.


behold what the body and mind can do. subhana rabbia'l khaaliq

1 Comments:

Blogger DA said...

I can do that, but I don't feel like it right now.

May 11, 2006 at 7:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home