riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Forget Dante's Inferno, I've actually been there!

"Death Circuit". That's what Don Alessi's elite athletes call his Meltdown Training program. Death Circuit. That name is so misleading, I could sue him. Death circuit made me think it would be so bad I'd die after I finished. This was far far worse. This was so bad I was dead by the second super-set. After that, I was roasting in jahannam. I had to stop half-way through the third super-set. It all took 10 minutes. 10 minutes. 10 MINUTES! 10 Minutes. Then it took me some 15 minutes until i can breathe normally again. And I started to sweat like crazy. The whole exercise should have taken 15 minutes maybe 17. That's it. I'm used to spending an hour at the gym, maybe a little more.

I only started today because I took an extra day off after the end of my last program, and then i got sick for two days, having really high fever and puking all over the dining room table and floor. Pleasant. For the past two days i've eaten nothing but one plate of rice and 2 kilograms (!!) of fresh guava and strawberry juice. Today I had a small plate of fish. Wasn't too good.


Anyway, maybe I just hadn't eaten well enough to start this program. But I doubt it. I'm not going anywhere near this program until I have a PERFECT, flawless diet, and MEGA-DOSE BCAA's (branched chain amino acids) for recovery (or steroids). haha, jk about the steroids. Now i'll have to find me a new program.



On the religious front, I've slipped back into spiritual jahannam. 4 days i havent prayed. First two days, I was supposed to make up for all prayers at night time but i ended up writing papers until the next morning. Then came two days of severe illness, and one day where I really dont have any excuse whatsoever (not that the previous days I had enough of an excuse). I feel horrible about this. Today it ends, inshalla. If only I could get up from this chair now to go do wudu I would. But I'm afraid my legs would fail me half way through the prayer. Death Circuit ??!!! Inshalla I'll do the prayers in an hour or two. I can't believe i slipped less than 10 days (i tihnk) since I started praying again.

I must not let a single day go by without prayer. Not a single day. Not for any excuse in the world.. You always think you'll go back the next day and you don't. And no more joining prayers. I'm gonna start doing them all in their proper time. If my hands start getting chapped again or whatever from all the wudu then I'd cut back. Until then, then inshalla I'll do them all in their proper time..


Gotta be honest about all this. That's what this blog is for. To push me into doing everything I should be doing. Everytime I slip I have to blog about it. Can't stay quiet about it.


"Account yourselves before you are taken into account and weigh your actions before they are weighed for you!" -Umar Ibn al-Khattab (r.a)

2 Comments:

Blogger RN said...

MashaAllah. May Allah help you and all of us to worpship ALlah the way he wants us to worship him. Ameen.

May 19, 2006 at 9:11 PM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

Ameen.

May 19, 2006 at 9:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home