riyada in arabic means "training" or "discipline". It was used by the arabs in relation to horse taming. Sufis refer to their discipline as "riyadat an-nafs": disciplining the soul / training the ego. Today, the word riyada has come to mean "sports". There is an Arabic proverb that says: "The purpose of sports (riyada) is not to win cups, but to discipline the soul". This blog is here to help me discipline my soul and train my body.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Classic Physiques

Elizabeth commented on how the massive bodybuilders of today don't look too good (on the "Silencer 3, Nafs 0" thread). I completely agree.

My ideal physique comes from the golden age of bodybuilding... So here's a few of my favourite oldschool physiques:

(at first I had posted the pics themselves on the blog, but then i decided i'd put their links instead. You see a man in islam should not show any part between his knees and his navel to other people. I also personally believe men should be more conservative than that when it comes to women. Anyway, instead of posting three large pictures of men in "bikinis" on an islam-themed blog, i thought i'd provide the links instead for those who wished to see.)


1) Steve Reeves (the guy who played Hercules)



2) Frank Zane


please don't give me any of "the veins! the veins!" comments.... they only show like that when they're really pumped for the sake of the pics....


3) Bill Pearl (he was vegetarian!)

3 Comments:

Blogger DA said...

A lot of prominent athletes have been vegetarian. We're not all scrwany wimps!

May 6, 2006 at 3:35 AM

 
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You mean I'm not going to get to see your bellybutton?

May 6, 2006 at 5:17 AM

 
Blogger Silencer said...

hahahahahaha. well, i'm not too sure i wanna show my face, or maybe i can show my face but while wearing glasses or something. i mean, if i decide to become a shaykh one day (and i have big plans), then i dont want some pics popping up of me topless online.. nor do i want people quoting the things i said when i was younger and more stupid.

so if i ever post a pic it might be for the sake of tracking my athletic progress, and all you'd get to see is the part of my upper body between my face and my belly button! doubt that interests you much!


- and DA, yes, but he wasn't vegan. He had lots of milk and eggs. and steroids. haha.

May 6, 2006 at 9:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home